i know that schlitz beer is what made milwaukee famous. but what does schlitz beer and jeffrey dahmer have in common? for starters there is milwaukee and there is the slogan that i corrupted for the title of this piece.
recently i attended a lecture given by one of the detectives who worked on the dahmer case so that is why i am writing this article. i will include some links about the dahmer case including an interview that was done with dahmer before his death. you can read those articles for a more in depth look at the cannibalistic killer.
i am here to tell you some facts you may or may not have known about dahmer and maybe did not care to know. some of this information may be found in the links, some not. the detective showed us some crime scene photos that i have not seen anywhere else.
1. back to schlitz beer. jeffrey dahmer was an alcoholic. he would bring alcohol to class in high school. (whether or not he drank schlitz beer i do not know)
2. jeffrey dahmer was in the army. his father told him to "shape up or ship out" so he shipped out.
3. he was kicked out of the army because of alcoholism
4. after the army he lived in florida for awhile
5. one of dahmer's favorite snacks was ruffles potato chips. a crime scene photo showed a bag of chips on his kitchen table. perhaps it went well with the meat? the detective said he, himself, has not eaten ruffles since.
6. jeffrey used teflon pans to cook his food
7. he had no dishes in his sink
8. he was a neat freak. although his apartment stunk it was very clean. the skulls of his victims were clean also and he painted them so that they would not look real.
9. he preferred dark skinned men. he had posters of dark skinned men on his walls, most of them in body builder poses, but not very muscular.
10. jeffrey's sexual thrills were with the dead not the living.
11. jeffrey was a relatively handsome man. it is easy to see how he would attract gay men. i am sure he would have attracted women too if he would have wanted them.
12. jeffrey's dad was a chemist. he would give his son the chemicals (or talk of them) that jeffrey eventually used to clean the bones of his victims. i believe all the products were available at any store.
13. while the case was being investigated, slowly but surely parts of the outside of his apartment were being taken by sick people as souvenirs. they could not get inside the apartment but things such as the numbers on the door disappeared, etc. the police thought that was disgusting.
14. dahmer had a fascination with drilling holes in the skulls of the living and pouring acid inside.
15. he liked to keep things cold (his famous refrigerator and freezer held heads and frozen human meat)
16. dahmer's apartment building was torn down. there is an empty fenced in lot.
17. one more connection to schlitz: most of the brewery has been torn down and they have built parking lots. there are also fenced in areas where they are tearing parts of the building down.
this has been a very brief history of dahmer and bottled beer :)
Jeffrey Dahmer Interview - Extended Footage